Monday, June 12, 2006

Red Egg and Ginger


Yesterday was Wesley's Red Egg and Ginger Party. Traditionally, this is his baby naming ceremony. But, for us, it's just a time for people to meet the baby and eat. They had fried chicken legs, shrimp, beef, chow mein, chinese chicken salad, and a whole roast pig with the head and everything. Jay's parents, Berney (who came all the way from Florida) and Wanda, came up with us to Oakland Chinatown. Also, Jay's sister Cheryl and her family came up from Temecula. We hadn't seen his dad or sister since the wedding (3 yrs ago). So it was really nice to see them all again.

The event started at 12pm and ended at 3pm. Wes was sleeping in the car for the hour ride. But as soon as we got to the restaurant, he got fussy. And then, he wouldn't stop! My worst fear came true. I had hoped he would sleep through the whole thing. He just wouldn't stop. After a half an hour, Paul asked me,"do you think he's hungry?"..DUH! He was right! After that, Wes did pretty good and also did sleep through most of the party in his Auntie Cheryl's arms. Thank God! Luckily we also brought the swing with us so that he could chill out for a little bit. With so much going on, I almost felt like it was my wedding all over again. Everyone is wanting to talk to you and with so much going on, you can't wrap your head around the conversation. Just nod your head and say yes and smile. I can't remember half of the conversations that people talked to me about. Most of it is "you have a beautiful baby" (me, smile) "thank you".

Guess what? I don't know if it was due to the party or not, but Wes slept a little over 5 hours last night! From 8pm to after 1am! It's also strange too that yesterday he turned 12 weeks old. I'm really hoping it's because he's gotten older. I'm crossing my fingers that it's not a fluke and that's he's a text book baby. On his tummy, he can lift his head 90 degrees and able to turn it too; put his hands together; has been "talking", smiling, and laughing for a while; and following things with his eyes. He is so much more active now. Always kicking and scooting on his back. Alot of times when I come to pick him up in his bassinet or crib, he's turned himself horizontally! We're still dealing with again the CIO as of yesterday and today, but that was due to family being over. It's getting better. I'm hoping it will be over by tomorrow when things start settling down again.

No comments: