Friday, June 16, 2006

No more House Guests

A dog walker friend wanted us to watch her dog for several days while they were out of the US. We were hoping it would work out so we would have a sitter for Rudy when we needed it. We did a trial period yesterday. It didn't work out. I felt really bad, but there was no way I could deal with it for that long of a time period. I usually have a hard time saying no, but this time I had to do it. I know she's in a bind, but I also need my sanity.

Life really changes when you have a baby. I couldn't give her the attention she needed and I don't have the patience to train her as to what's ok and not ok around the house. A year ago, things would have been different. Rudy was like our number one priority. Plus she did a couple of things we were not happy about. She barked and cried in the middle of the night while i was feeding the baby and was digging into Jay's tomato plants. She's not used to a baby in the house and I can't watch her every single minute. And, my focus is on the baby. Dogs come second. She's a nice dog, but I'm still not comfortable with her around the baby. She's still an adolescent and still has that puppy energy.

After this sleepover, I have a whole new appreciation for Rudy and how he's behaved with Wes. My dog has been ignored too long...I'm going to give him some attention right now.

No comments: