Tuesday, May 09, 2006

1st Social Outing

Well, today, Wes and I went on our first social outing. I decided to try the Breastfeeding Support Group at Kaiser today. It's only for an hour every Tuesday. This was also the first time I took the stroller in the car. It took me a couple of minutes trying to remember how to fold and close it. Once I got that underway, off we went to the hospital. Considering it was about 10:30am, I was very surprised that I got lucky and found a good parking space near the building. Once inside, we got to meet other mommies and babies. The babies ranged from 1 week to 10 weeks. In the room, they had a scale. I weighed Wes with his clothes on and he weighed 9 lbs. 11 oz! Wow! He gained a pound in 2 weeks! Don't know though how much he's lengthened, but I had to put away the newborn sizes. He's somewhere in the 0-3 months clothes. So, it looks like he's feeding well (especially so by the amount of stuff in his diapers have increased...whoa! almost to the back end of the diaper, if you know what I mean!) It was good to be out to talk to other moms about their breastfeeding and baby caring experience. The things I'm going through now I find I'm not alone. Where I thought he was fighting the breast, I find it's because he's trying to get more out of it. And, it was nice to see the age ranges..I can see where he was at that age and what he will be doing as he gets older. And, my baby is not as fussy as some of the other ones! He did fuss a little, but He actually took a nap! I worry so much that he's not getting enough rest and I find out that one baby doesn't take naps during the day and is fussy and has to be carried around, but sleeps 7 hours at night. Go figure! It was nice to talk to live people instead of posting on the bulletin boards online. It seems like babies are too good when people post. One person will post a problem and most of the people responding to that issue don't seem to have that problem. I guess also it was better with live people because I got more of the story by asking questions. And, they are all around Wes' age, which seems that we're all dealing with similar issues for that age: Gas, fighting/fussy at the breast, spit up, milk supply. This was a good experience. I'm hoping that I can do this again next week, and maybe do this on a regular basis. Hopefully lil' Wes will let me!

No comments: