Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My Christmas Present



On Christmas, I was surprised to find out my sisters and I each received a sewing machine. My son asked what it was. Jay told him it was to sew clothes like the shirt he has on. Wesley responded, "Mommy can make costumes for me!"

I've only tried one time in my life to sew. That was 20 years ago and I failed miserably. My mom got me in a night sewing class. I was so excited. I thought of all the outfits I was going to make. Part of my downfall was that I decided to pick a skirt pattern...with a zipper. What was I thinking? Every night of that sewing class I was sewing, making a mistake, then ripping out the seams to correct out my mistake. Everyone else was making these outfits for their little children while I was barely completing my skirt. I now realize I should have picked something simple like they did. I was too ambitious.

So now, I decided to try again. This time, from my husband's recommendation, I started out with something simple. A pillowcase. And I did it! It's not neat, but I think I did pretty good for my first try. Wesley seems to like it. He's in the first photo. I made it Queen size for him to put his whole body in : ) My next project will be a drawstring sack, then a tote-like bag. My ultimate goal is to hopefully make a costume and a hawaiian shirt for Wes. If you're wondering about the fabric I used, they were having 60% off Christmas patterns. I thought I'd also start with fabric where I won't be bummed if I make a mistake. Erin, now that you have a sewing machine, are you going to make matching outfits for your girls the same way mom did with us? :D

No comments: